Note the NEW CHORAL ENSEMBLE REHEARSAL SCHEDULE. Rehearsal days / times are listed under the "Ensembles" link.
Please read ALL information carefully.
Membership in all choral ensembles is open to all students at the University of North Texas. Auditions are required to be a member of the A Cappella Choir, Collegium Singers, University Singers, and Concert Choir. All auditions are BY APPOINTMENT.
Choral Audition Dates 2018-2019 Academic Year
Auditions will be held in MU230 (Choir Room):
- Wednesday, August 22, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, August 23, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, August 24, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, August 25, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, August 26, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- REGISTER for Men's Chorus (undergrad: MULB 1815.500; grad: MULB 5171.505) or Women's Chorus (undergrad: MULB 1803.500; grad: MULB 5171.503) before you audition. Though you will not necessarily be in that choir, this secures your spot in a choir and avoids late registration fees from the University. After auditions we will change your registration to the correct ensemble.
- COMPLETE an information form HERE.
- SIGN UP for an audition time HERE.
- ARRIVE 15 minutes early on your audition date.
- The audition will INCLUDE: (1) a simple ear-training and sight-singing test; (2) vocalizing on various vowels to display range and tone quality; (3) melodic pattern recognition; and (4) a short excerpt from your choice of an artsong (no arias, please).
- An ACCOMPANIST will be provided. Please prepare your music with clearly marked cuts and instructions. Music should be double-sided and placed in a three ring binder. To avoid glare, do not place music in plastic sheet covers or protectors.
- CALLBACK auditions will be held during the first week of classes. Callback information will be emailed and posted on the Choral Bulletin Board (across from room MU217). Failure to attend a callback audition will jeopardize your being placed in one of the auditioned ensembles.
Graduate Choral Conducting
Application Materials: Apply online here. Once completed forms and all required materials have been received and evaluated, the choral faculty will invite selected applicants to campus for an interview and audition with one of our university choirs. If you have questions, please contact Dr. Allen Hightower at Allen.Hightower@unt.edu. Applications are due by the first Monday in December.
*The interview will include vocalizing and skills testing. Please bring an art song / aria to perform.
Your video should include rehearsal and performances recordings of your conducting. The camera should face the conductor. Video submissions may be in digital upload or DVD format.
Because our on-campus choral conducting audition dates are January 28 & 29 and it takes several weeks for the application materials to clear the university, the college and finally get to us, you would be well served if your application packet got to us no later than December 1, 2018. Early November is preferred.
Go to the College of Music web site and apply online. Be sure to include a video of your conducting (view of the conductor) comprised of rehearsal and performance.
Once we receive and evaluate your materials, we will make a determination about inviting you to campus for an audition and interview. We will do our best to let you know at least a month before the audition date on January 28, 2019. The earlier we receive your materials, the earlier we can make this determination.
The student will conduct two pieces in the audition to be assigned by the Director of Choral Studies.
Dr. Allen Hightower, Director of Choral Studies
Dr. Richard Sparks, Chair of Conducting and Ensembles
Dr. Joshua Habermann, Lecturer and Director, Dallas Symphony Orchestra Choruses